Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Be still and know I am God"

I suppose Psalm 46 this is a very common psalm, but something about it gets me every time. "Be still"... God is right here with us all the time. Loving me, accepting me, nurturing me and guiding me. How often do I believe that? How often do you believe that?

I know the second part of this antiphon is of no importance if I am not connected with the first. The first part, "be still," is a joyous, fascinated, filled stillness that is pregnant with life, love and happiness that is constantly giving birth. When am I going to see it for what it is, appreciate it and accept it?

Only then can the next part matter. This part shares with us the power of the pregnant stillness, the part that once we encounter, are no longer the same. This is when we are ignited with/by something much bigger than ourselves, guiding, nurturing, accepting and loving everything. Everything about me that I don't understand, everything about you that I don't understand. Loving everything. Loving everyone.

Actively I seek to know me and the people that surround me more deeply, more courageously, more freely. This kind of love breaks down my defenses, sweetens my sourness, soothes my cynicism and opens my heart to love as it was made to be and to do.

At the beginning of the novitiate a sister, who is very dear to me, gave me a watercolor portrait of this saying and still today, almost two years later it is always in view. Now I have it in my office, reminding me of the pregnancy that is every moment in life especially as I enter into my ministry.

I conclude with Psalm 46 ... "Be still and know I am God"

No comments:

Post a Comment